Saturday, April 07, 2007

"He who is drunk with God"

~

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Oh minstrel, play this tune: "Our Friend has
come drunk, pure and faithful Life has come drunk!"
If, like sparks, He should put on the robe of
Severity, I will know Him, for He has come drunk to us in
that guise many times!
If, He should pour out my water and break my
jug -- say nothing, oh brother, for this Water-carrier has come
drunk!
I try to deceive my Drunkard, and He smiles:
"Look at this simple man, from whence has he come drunk?
Are you trying to deceive that Person the least
of whose words makes water and fire selfless, earth and air
drunk?"
I said to Him, "If I die and Thou comest to my
grave, I will jump up shouting, 'That sweet-faced Beloved has
come drunk!'"
He said, "How should the spirit of him who
receives this breath die? He who is drunk with God subsists
with Him forever."
Behold ineffable Love, filling the cuplike spirit!
Behold the Face of the Saki, who has come from the realm of
Subsistence, laughing and drunk.
Everyone in the world has chosen a friend, and
ours is Love -- from the time of Alast It has been drunk
without you and me.

-- Ghazal (Ode) 391
Translation by William C. Chittick
"The Sufi Path of Love"
SUNY Press, Albany, 1983

The media:
http://tinyurl.com/23hdyw

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

~
Share/Bookmark

No comments: