Monday, April 26, 2010

[Sunlight] "I am angry with God!"

~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A black sky hates the moon. I am that dark
nothing. I hate those in power.
I'm invited in from the road to the house,
but I invent some excuse.
Now I'm angry at the road.

I don't need love. Let something break me.
I don't want to hear anyone's trouble.
I've had my chance for wealth and position.
I don't want those.

I am iron, resisting the most enormous Magnet there is.
Amber pulls straw to it. That makes me angry.
We're molecules spinning here, four, five, six of us.
What does that mean, five, six?
I'm angry at God.

You don't understand, being out of water.
You resemble the sun? I hate likeness.

-- Version by Coleman Barks & John Moyne
These Branching Moments
Copper Beech Press, 1988

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am that black night who hates the Moon.
I am that wretched beggar who is
angry with the King.
Out of kindness He calls me in but I am angry
and invent excuses.
I have lost my peace but I will not sigh,
I am angry at sighing!
I had my chances for wealth and power
now I don't want them
I am angry.
I flee from the Magnet, I am a straw resisting
the pull of the Amber.
We are only tiny particles helpless I this world
I am angry with God!
You don't know how it feels to drown
you are out of the sea of love.
You are only a shadow of the Sun and
I am angry with the shadows!

-- Translation by Azima Melita Kolin
and Maryam Mafi
Rumi: Hidden Music
HarperCollins Publishers Ltd, 2001

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~

------------------------------------

Archive for Sunlight can be accessed at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight /messages
To subscribe, please send an email to : sunlight-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To unsubscribe, please send an email to: sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Sunlight-digest@yahoogroups.com
Sunlight-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Share/Bookmark

No comments: