Friday, April 02, 2010

[Sunlight] Giving thanks

~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The divine Mercy repaired the tattered cloak of my piety
and bestowed upon me a repentance as sweet as life.
Whatever ill deeds I had done,
It took them as not having been done;
and my undone acts of obedience
It took as having been performed.
It made me glad of heart as good fortune and felicity.
It inscribed my name in the book of the righteous:
I was one doomed to Hell;
it gave me Paradise.
When I cried "Alas," my "Alas" became a rope,
and the rope was let down into my well.
I clutched that rope and climbed out:
I became glad and strong, sturdy, yet fragrant as a rose.
I had been lying at the bottom of a well:
now the whole world cannot contain me.
Praises be to You, O God!
You suddenly placed me far from sorrow.
Though the tip of every hair of mine should gain a tongue,
still, the thanks due to You could not be expressed.
Amid these gardens and fountains I am crying out to the people,
"Oh, would that my people knew!"*

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bâz Rahmat pustin duzim kard
tawbeh-ye shirin cho jân ruzim kard
Har cheh kardam jomleh nâ-kardeh gereft
tâ`at-e nâ-kardeh âvordeh gereft
Hamcho sarv o sawsanam âzâd kard
hamcho bakht o dawlatam delshâd kard
Nâm-e man dar nâmeh-ye pâkân nevesht
duzakhi budam be-bakhshidam Behesht
"Âh" kardam chon rasan shod Âh-e man
gasht âvizân rasan dar châh-e man
Ân rasan be-gereftam o birun shodam
shâd o zaft o farbeh o gol-gun shodam
Dar bon-e châhi hami budam zabun
dar hameh `âlam na-mi ganjam konun
Âfarin-hâ bar To bâdâ ay Khodâ
nâ-gahân kardi merâ az ghamm jodâ
Gar sar-e har mu-ye man bâyad zabân
shokr-hâ-ye To niyâyad dar bayân
Mi zanam na`reh darin rawzeh o `oyun
khalq-râ yâ layta qawmî ya`lamûn*

*Yâ Sîn, 26

-- Mathnawi V: 2307-2316
Version by Camille and Kabir Helminski
"Rumi: Jewels of Remembrance"
Threshold Books, 1996
(Persian transliteration courtesy of Yahyá Monastra)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~

------------------------------------

Archive for Sunlight can be accessed at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight /messages
To subscribe, please send an email to : sunlight-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To unsubscribe, please send an email to: sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Sunlight-digest@yahoogroups.com
Sunlight-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Share/Bookmark

No comments: