Thursday, January 25, 2007

"A glimpse of that beauty"

~

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

My body pulled my soul from the higher planes
and I lost the company of saints and prophets.
Now wrapped in my prison I've met a Moon
that fills my heart with dreams and visions.
Most people want to escape from prison
but why should I run away when my love is inside,
where else could I be alone with love?
I look at myself and see such painful longing
I look at love and see how pleased she is watching me.
Once you are in that house of Beauty
abundant grace awaits you.

I overhead the stars whispering
that if ever one of them
caught a glimpse of that Beauty,
to tell the others at once.
But the lovers guard their secrets jealously
for they know that when the Moon rises
everything will set.

-- Translated by Azima Melita Kolin
and Maryam Mafi
Rumi: Hidden Music
HarperCollins Publishers Ltd, 2001

The media:
http://tinyurl.com/ypovfg

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

~
Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Names of God

My eyes take in the vast expanse,
I gaze upon this scene,
The glistening sunlight like a dance,
On waters blue and green.

I witness there so many sights,
I’m dazzled and amazed,
It’s better than one thousand nights,
How can it be appraised?

Sea waters in a vast array,
Before me there that night,
Eyes filled with mist from ocean spray,
I can’t describe the sight.

Lights mingled there and interlaced,
This vision fills my eye,
They flash with darkness interlaced,
I hear the waters sigh.

These lights and darkness there that night,
The names of God divine,
My heart takes flight in its delight,
Amazed with this design.