Monday, January 09, 2012

[Sunlight] I am not satiated -- Ghazal 2244

~

Sunlight presents Ode 2244 - in a poetic version by
Coleman Barks and in a literal translation by A.J. Arberry:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I never get enough of laughing with you,
that wild humor.

Thirsty and dry, I complain, but everything is made of
water!
Lonely, yet my head leans against your shirt!
My wounded hands, your hands.

Do something drastic.

You say, "Come and sit in the innermost room,
where you'll be safe from the love-thief."

I reply, "But I've tried to be the ringknocker
on your door, so you won't have to
always be letting me in and out."

You say, "No. You stand on the threshold waiting,
and you're here in the inner chamber too.
You're at home in both places."

I love the quietness of such an answer.
Come to this table of quietness.

-- Version by Coleman Barks
"We Are Three,"
Maypop, 1987

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I am not satiated, not satiated with your laughing
lips; a thousand blessing on your lips and teeth!
Has any man ever wearied, my son, of his soul? You
are my soul since my soul and yours are one and the same.
I am thirsty and suffering from dryness, my death and
life are from water; pass around the cup, for I am the slave
of your turning around.
You make dispensation, go offer me to yourself that my
head may raise itself up from your shirt.
Though my two hands are wounded, my hand belongs to
you; of what use are my hands without your breath and
incantation?
Your love said, "Sir, come into my private chamber,
that no thief may make designs on your inner chamber."
I said, "Blessed one, I have become the ring on this
door so that no thought of me may trouble your doorkeeper."
He said, "You are both standing at the door and in my
bosom, exterior and interior - both homelands are yours.
Silence, and recite no more; sufficient should be this
hospitality and table. For all eternity Rum and Turk shall eat
of your table.

-- Translation by A. J. Arberry
"Mystical Poems of Rumi 2"
The University of Chicago Press, 1991

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~

------------------------------------

Archive for Sunlight can be accessed at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight /messages
To subscribe, please send an email to : sunlight-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To unsubscribe, please send an email to: sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Sunlight-digest@yahoogroups.com
Sunlight-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Share/Bookmark

No comments: