Wednesday, December 08, 2010

[Sunlight] Two Hundred Jupiters Are Drunk on My Moon -- Ghazal 3296

~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Hundred Jupiters Are Drunk on My Moon


Two hundred Jupiters are drunk on my Moon.
One blink of his eyes has enchanted
a hundred Samaritans.
His every word blazes with the call, I am the way,
lighting a fire in the belly of every infidel.

The burning flame of his heart
has reached the heavens
and his life-giving spirit has turned the horizon red. . .

O Lion of God, to where are you rushing?
O Great Solomon, your Seal is the crown
of all angels and demons.

O Nimble Soul,
you are moving so fast
that you don't even care to look
at the ones you have just slaughtered.
You hear the screams of the killing-ground
but do not even break your stride to listen!

He looked at me with his dagger-gaze.
I drowned in the waters of his eyes.
Through the scalding pain of non-existence
I am gone, vanished. I have become
Shamsuddin, the Light of Tabriz.

Now I will let Shams tell my story,
for all my words are his.

-- Ghazal (Ode) 3296
Version by Jonathan Star from a
translation by Shahram Shiva
"A Garden Beyond Paradise:
The Mystical Poetry of Rumi"
Bantam Books, 1992

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~

------------------------------------

Archive for Sunlight can be accessed at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight /messages
To subscribe, please send an email to : sunlight-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To unsubscribe, please send an email to: sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Sunlight-digest@yahoogroups.com
Sunlight-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Share/Bookmark

No comments: