Wednesday, March 03, 2010

[Sunlight] This is my wish -- Ghazal 0457

~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THIS IS MY WISH

O harp,
the strains of a longing heart is my wish.
O flute,
your burning cry is my wish.

Play the great song of Arabia;
I am the Great Bird,
and the song of Solomon is my wish.

Play the song of Iraq,
and let its soothing melody
calm the hearts of its people –
this is my wish.

Play on! Play on! –
High notes, low notes, every note.

I have fallen into a dream
with your peaceful melody.
Now awaken me with a loud gong –
this is my wish.

I hear your song –
the voice of God,
a symphony of love playing to the world.
That music is my witness –
I am a pious man,
pure faith is my wish.

O love, vanquish the intellect;
O love, that bewildering moment
is my wish.

O sweet wind,
passing over love's grass,
blow in my direction,
for the fragrance of love is my wish.

In the Face of my master, all beauty is revealed.

One sight –
One sight –

that is my wish.

-- Ode 0457
Version by Jonathan Star
"A Garden Beyond Paradise: The Mystical Poetry of Rumi"
Bantam Books, 1992

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~

------------------------------------

Archive for Sunlight can be accessed at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight /messages
To subscribe, please send an email to : sunlight-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To unsubscribe, please send an email to: sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Sunlight-digest@yahoogroups.com
Sunlight-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Share/Bookmark

No comments: