Wednesday, September 03, 2008

[Sunlight] “So that I can find the way back to my Beloved" - Ghazal 1400

~

Here, Sunlight offers Ghazal 1400, in translations from Nader
Khalili, Maryam Mafi and Azima Melita Kolin, and William Chittick:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

running and leaping nonstop
till i catch up
with the fastest rider

annihilating forever
vanishing for good
till i reach the soul of the world

very happy i've become
ever since i changed
to a piece of fire

and with this fire
i'll burn my house and
dwell in the desert

i'll soften and humble
i'll change to earth
till i grow your flowers in me

i'll crawl and flow
i'll change myself to water
till i can reach your paradise garden

without pain no healer
will tend me
or give me potions

i'll change to
total pain
till i get total healing

ever since i was born
i was thrown into this world
helpless and shivering
like a speck of dust in the air

but as soon as i reach
the end of this journey
and settle down
i'll be secured and tranquil forever

-- Translation by Nader Khalili
"Rumi, Fountain of Fire"
Burning Gate Press, Los Angeles, 1994.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will run fast and will keep running until
I catch up with the riders.
I will dissolve into air and become nothing
So I can reach my Beloved.
I will become fire, burn my house
And head for the desert.
I will become all pain, so I can be healed.
I will become humble and turn into soil
So your flowers can grow in me.
I will kiss the ground and become water
So I can flow to your rose garden.
I will made my face shine like a gold coin
So I can become worthy of my Beloved.
I came in this world helpless and fearful
But at the end of this journey I will find safety.
The blessing of truth is like water
It flows downstream.
I came to this earth so that I can find the way back
To my Beloved.

-- Translation by Azima Melita Kolin
and Maryam Mafi
"Rumi: Hidden Music"
HarperCollins Publishers Ltd, 2001

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I will run quickly, quickly, to reach the riders; I will
become nonexistent, nothing, to reach the Beloved.
I have become joyful, joyful – I am a spark of
fire. I will burn my house and travel to the Desert.
I will become dust, dirt, so that Thou canst make
me verdant. I will become water and prostrate myself all
the way to the Rosegarden.
Fallen from the heavens, I waver like a dustmote –
I will attain security and stop my trembling when I reach
the Goal.
The spheres are a place of honor, the earth a place
of destruction – I will escape from these two dangers
when I reach the Sultan.
This world of earth and air is the substance of
unbelief and annihilation – I have entered the heart of unbelief
in order to reach faith.
That balanced and harmonious King of the world
seeks a balanced lover – my face is as yellow as gold coin
so that I may be placed in His Balance.
God's Mercy is water – it moves only towards low
ground. I will become dust and Mercy's object in order to
reach the All-Merciful.
No physician gives pills and medicine without an
illness – I will become totally pain so that I may reach the
Remedy.

-- Translation by William C. Chittick
"The Sufi Path of Love- The Spiritual Teachings of Rumi"
State University of New York Press, Albany, 1983

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~


------------------------------------

Archive for Sunlight can be accessed at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight /messages
To subscribe, please send an email to : sunlight-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To unsubscribe, please send an email to: sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Sunlight-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Sunlight-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


Share/Bookmark

No comments: