Monday, November 12, 2007

[Sunlight] "How long will this unconsciousness go on?" -- Ghazal 1022

~

Here, Sunlight offers Ghazal 1022, From Rumi's "Diwan-e
Shams", in a poetic version by Coleman Barks, and in the translation
by A.J. Arberry from which Professor Barks derived his version:


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday at dawn, my Friend said, How long
will this unconsciousness go on?

You fill yourself with the sharp pain of Love,
rather than its fulfuillment.

I said, "But I can't get to You!
You are the whole dark night,
and I am a single candle.

My life is upsidedown
because of You!"

The Friend replied, I am your deepest being.
Quit talking about wanting Me!

I said, "Then what is this
restlessness?

The Friend, Does a drop
stay still in the Ocean?

Move with the Entirety,
and with the tiniest particular.

Be the moisture in an oyster
that helps to form one pearl.

-- Version by Coleman Barks
"Like This,"
Maypop, 1990

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday at dawn passing by the Beloved said to me, "You
are distraught and unaware; how long will this go on?
My cheek is the envy of the rose; and have you filled your eye
with heart's blood in quest of the thorn?"
I said, "Before your stature the cypress is but a sapling!" I
said, "Before your cheek the heavens' candle is dark!"
I said, "Sky and earth are topsy-turvy on account of you; it
is no wonder therefore, if I have no access to you."
He said, "I am your soul and heart; why are you distracted?
Say no word, and remain weeping against my silvery bosom."
I said, You who have robbed my heart and soul of repose, I
have not the power to be still." He said at once,
"You are a drop of my sea; why do you utter still? Become
drowned, and fill the soul of the oyster shell with pearls."

-- Translation by A.J. Arberry
"Mystical Poems of Rumi 1"
The University of Chicago Press 1968/1991

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


~


Archive for Sunlight can be accessed at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight /messages
To subscribe, please send an email to : sunlight-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To unsubscribe, please send an email to: sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Sunlight-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Sunlight-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Share/Bookmark

No comments: