Thursday, October 26, 2006

"From whom comes this self-conceit of mine?"


If I had any judgment and skill of my own,
my consideration and plans would all be under my control.

At night my consciousness would not leave against my will,
and the birds of my senses
would be secured within my own cage.

I would be aware of the stages journeyed by the soul
in unconsciousness, in sleep, and in times of trouble.

But since my hand is made empty
by His sovereign power to loosen and to bind,

O, I wonder,
from whom comes this self-conceit of mine?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Gar be khvisham hich rây o fann bodi
rây o tadbiram beh-hokm-e man bodi
Shab na-rafti hush bi farmân-e man
zir-e dâm-e man bodi morghân-e man
Budami âgah ze manzel-hâ-ye jân
vaqt-e khvâb o bihoshi o emtehân
Chon kaffam zin hall o `aqd-e U tohist
ay `ajab in mo`jebi-ye man ze kist

-- Mathnawi VI: 2324-2327
Version by Camille and Kabir Helminski
Rumi: Jewels of Remembrance
Threshold Books, 1996
(Persian transliteration courtesy of Yahyá Monastra)

The media:
http://tinyurl.com/y2un26





Share/Bookmark

No comments: