Tuesday, January 15, 2013

[Sunlight] I have no inclination for mankind

~

Today, Sunlight offers Rumi's Ode (Ghazal) number 1620, from the
"Diwan-e Shams" -- the "Collection of Shams", in a poetic version* by
Coleman Barks, and in translation by A.J. Arberry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is a passion in me
that doesn't long for anything
from another human being.

I was given something else,
a cap to wear in both worlds.
It fell off. No matter.

One morning I went to a place beyond dawn.
A source of sweetness that flows
and is never less.

I have been shown a beauty
that would confuse both worlds
but I won't cause that uproar.

I am nothing but a head
set on the ground
as a gift for Shams.

-- Version by Coleman Barks
"Like This"
Maypop, 1990

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

There is a passion in my head that I have no inclination for
mankind, this passion makes me so that I am unaware of myself.
The king of love bestows every moment two thousand kingdoms;
I desire nothing from him save his beauty.
The girdle and cap of his love are enough for me in both worlds;
what matter if my cap falls? What care I if I have no girdle?
One morning his love transported my wounded heart to a
place where I transcended day and night, and have no knowledge
of dawn.
A journey befell my soul to the kingdom of realities, such that
the sky and the moon say, "I have no such journey."
Through separation if my soul scatters pearls from my eyes,
think not that I have not a heart full of pearls from him.
What sugar-seller have I to sell sugar to me! Never on any
day he said, "Go, for I have no sugar."
I would have shown a token of his beauty, but the two worlds
would be confounded; I have no inclination for such clamour
and riot.
Tabriz, I have sworn that after Shams-I Din comes I will in
gratitude lay down this head, for I have nothing but a head.

-- Translation by A.J. Arberry
"Mystical Poems of Rumi 1"
The University of Chicago Press, 1968

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~






------------------------------------

Archive for Sunlight can be accessed at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight /messages
To subscribe, please send an email to : sunlight-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To unsubscribe, please send an email to: sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Sunlight-digest@yahoogroups.com
Sunlight-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Share/Bookmark

No comments: