Wednesday, January 06, 2010

[Sunlight] "That moon snatched me up" -- Ghazal 649

~

Here, Sunlight offers five presentations of Ghazal (Ode) 649.
from Rumi's "Diwan-e Shams":


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The ocean billowed, and lo!
Eternal Wisdom appeared
And cast forth its voice and cried out . . .
That was how it was and became.
The ocean was all filled with foam
and every fleck of this foam
Produced a figure like this,
and was a body like that,
and every body-shaped fleck
that heard a sign from that sea,
It melted and then returned
into the ocean of souls . . .

-- Translation by Annemarie Schimmel
"I Am Wind, You are Fire"
Shambhala, 1992

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"This Eternal Play"

At dawn the Moon appeared in the sky.
It floated down and looked at me.
Then, like a hawk snatching its prey,
it grabbed hold of me
and dragged me across the sky.

When I looked I could not see myself.
By the magic of the Moon's light
my body dissolved into pure spirit.
In this form I journeyed on
Merging with a boundless light.
Then the secret of this eternal play
opened up before me.

The nine spheres of heaven
were enveloped in light.
The ship of my soul
was lost in a shoreless Sea . . . .

Suddenly the Sea of Being formed into waves.
Thoughts rose up,
images and forms broke on the shore.
Then everything returned to the way it was before,
merging into that vast Spirit.

The fortune of this sight
comes from Shams, the Truth of Tabriz.
Without his grace,
no one could ever ride the Moon
or become the endless Sea.

-- Version by Jonathan Star
"Rumi - In the Arms of the Beloved"
Jeremy P. Tarcher/Putnam, New York 1997


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

In the sky, a moon appeared, at dawn,
She descended from the sky and threw her glance to me,
Like a falcon taking hold of a bird, during the hunt,
She seized me and took me high in the skies.
When I looked at me I did not see me
Because in this moon, my body, by grace,
had become the soul.
When I traveled within the soul, I only saw the moon,
Until was unveiled to me the mystery of eternal Theophany.
The nine celestial spheres were totally immersed
in this moon.
The hull of my being was totally hidden in that sea.
The sea broke down in waves; Intelligence returned
And made its call: that's how it was and had been.
The sea got covered with foam, and from each fluff of foam
Something appeared as a form, something appeared as a body.
Each fluff of foam which looked like a body received
a signal from that sea,
Melted immediately and followed the course of the waves.
Without the salvation-bearing help of
my Lord Shams-ul-Haqq of Tabriz,
None can contemplate the moon, nor become the sea.

-- Translation into English by Eva de Vitray-Meyerovitch
from the French translation by Simone Fattal
"Rumi and Sufism"
The Post-Apollo Press, Sausalito, California 1987


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

To Know the Moon and the Sea


At the break of dawn a single moon appeared,
descended from the sky, and gazed at me.

Like a falcon swooping in for the catch,
it snatched me up and soared across the sky.
When I looked at myself, I saw myself no more,
because by grace my body had become fine.

I made a journey of the soul accompanied by the moon,
until the secret of time was totally revealed.
Heaven's nine spheres were in that moon.
The vessel of my being had vanished in that sea.

Waves rose on the ocean. Intelligence ascended
and sounded its call. So it happened; so it was.
The sea began to foam and every bit of froth
took shape and was bodied forth.

Then each spindrift body kissed by that sea
immediately melted into spirit.
Without the power of a Shams, the Truth of Tabriz,
one could neither behold the moon nor become the sea.

-- Version by Kabir Edmund Helminski
"Love is a Stranger"
Threshold Books, 1993

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


At the dawn hour a moon appeared in the sky,
came down from the sky and gazed upon me.
Like a hawk which seizes a bird at the time of
hunting, that moon snatched me up and ran over the sky.
When I gazed at myself I saw myself no more,
because in that moon my body through grace became
like the soul.
When I voyaged in soul I saw naught but the moon,
so that the secret of the eternal revelation was all
disclosed.
The nine spheres of heaven were all absorbed in
that moon, the ship of my being was entirely hidden
in the sea.
That sea surged, and Reason arose again and cast
abroad a voice; thus it happened and so it befell.*
That sea foamed, and at every foam-fleck something
took form and something was bodied forth.
Every foam-fleck of body which received a sign from
that sea melted forthwith and became spirit in that sea.*
Without the royal fortune of Shams al-Din of Tabriz
one could neither behold the moon nor become the sea.

-- Translation by A. J. Arberry
"Mystical Poems of Rumi 1"
The University of Chicago Press, 1968

* "Reason": Universal Reason, the first emanation of God.
* "Became spirit": or, departed.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~

------------------------------------

Archive for Sunlight can be accessed at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight /messages
To subscribe, please send an email to : sunlight-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To unsubscribe, please send an email to: sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Sunlight-digest@yahoogroups.com
Sunlight-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Share/Bookmark

No comments: