Monday, September 28, 2009

[Sunlight] Wake up to the call of prayer -- Ghazal 255

~

Here, Sunlight offers Ghazal (Ode) 0255, from Rumi's "Diwan-e
Shams," in a translation by Kolin and Mafi, and in a version by Barks:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wake up in the morning breeze
to the call for prayer and hear
the music fill the air.
Rejoice
and fill your cup with the wine of love.
Pass it around, pass it to me first,
so I can be drunk with ecstasy
but bind my feet so I don't wander.
My life, my strength, my faith are in your hands.
Launch me in the sea of love
and let me sail.

Shams, you are the Lord of all Kings
your words are my eternal treasure.

-- Translation by Azima Melita Kolin
and Maryam Mafi
"Rumi: Hidden Music"
HarperCollins Publishers Ltd, 2001

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Wake up with the morning breeze
and ask for a change. Open and fill yourself
with the wine that is your life.
Pass it around. Pass it to me first!
Revive me with your waking.
Listen to the harp-sound, and sing.
Dawn-music is your joy.
Give me your excitement, but let it ground me,
so I don't wander. Watch the ripples
on the surface. Then launch me
like a ship. Once I was only a piece of wood.
Then Moses threw me down,
and now I'm a powerful dragon. I was dead.
Jesus raised me. Muhammed spoke,
and this tree shimmered.

Say the word again, Shams,
so we can feel you, your light
within everything.

-- Version by Coleman Barks
(from a translation by John Moyne)
"These Branching Moments"
Copper Beach Press, 1988

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~

------------------------------------

Archive for Sunlight can be accessed at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight /messages
To subscribe, please send an email to : sunlight-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To unsubscribe, please send an email to: sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Sunlight-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Sunlight-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Share/Bookmark

No comments: