Friday, May 22, 2009

[Sunlight] Thou art wine and I am water -- Ghazal 1695

~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Before such spirit-bestowing Beauty, how should
I not die? How should I not go mad and seize hold of Thy
chainlike tresses?
When I drink Thy wine, how should I not be
obliterated? Thou art wine and I am water, Thou art honey
and I am milk.
Open Thy mouth, that infinite candy -- if Thou
acceptest not my excuses, well, I accept Thy blandishments!
Dost Thou know why I laugh? Because of my
own high aspiration -- in the city of Thy Love, I am the prince
of lovers!
I and eternal Love were born into the world
from a single womb -- though I appear as a new lover, by God I
am exceedingly ancient!
If you open your own eye, you will be fitting
only for yourself. But if you find this vision, you will know
that I am peerless.
Like Men, I fire up the stove of all those who
are cold; and within the stove of warm spirits, my dough is
cooked to the greatest perfection!
In my gentleness, I am like milk -- I never
become caught in the throat. Make no mistakes, though I be
salty like cheese!
In my love for Shams of Tabriz, I am a sultan
wearing a crown -- but when he comes to the throne, I am his
vizier.

-- Ghazal 1695, from Rumi's "Diwan-e Shams"
Translation by Professor William C. Chittick
"The Sufi Path of Love"
SUNY Press, Albany, 1983

*Sunlight note: A vizier is a high executive officer of various Muslim countries and especially of the Ottoman Empire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~

------------------------------------

Archive for Sunlight can be accessed at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight /messages
To subscribe, please send an email to : sunlight-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To unsubscribe, please send an email to: sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sunlight/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Sunlight-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Sunlight-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Sunlight-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Share/Bookmark

No comments: